Memorial Hospital of South Bend in IN, some 10 miles from the hotel in the southern MI city of Niles, told ABC News that the patients it is treating from the hotel are in critical condition. She said a police officer and three other children had already been released.
Bryan Watts, 13, was pronounced dead on arrival when he was taken to the hospital.
Six boys and one girl, all between the ages of 12 and 14, two first responders and two members of the hotel staff required treatment.
Carbon monoxide readings in the hotel's enclosed pool area were 16 times higher than normal levels, the fire department told the news station.
Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts. The cause of death was a carbon monoxide leak in the heating system for the swimming pool, just below the room where the deaths occurred.
One hotel worker at the Quality Inn and Suites in Niles, along with two Berrien County officers and two Niles city police officers were also treated for exposure to the poisonous gas.
In Beijing, Tillerson Urges China-US Cooperation on N. Korea
On Friday in Seoul, he warned ominously that all options were on the table to counter the threat from Pyongyang. China, the North's biggest source of diplomatic support and economic assistance, has yet to respond.
At least 12 people have been taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at Quality Inn in Niles. Other patients were taken to nearby Lakeland Hospital. Thirteen others were hospitalized.
Six children were found unresponsive on this pool deck.
Officials say a malfunctioning pool heater is to blame for the toxic leak. "The hotel is shut down now until repairs are made". The maximum allowable by OSHA standards is 50 parts per million. 'At those levels, they don't have much time before they're going to go unresponsive'.
The hotel is closed while the investigation continues.
Carbon monoxide, sometimes referred to as "the silent killer", is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas produced when a fuel is burned.